ACTIVITIES OF DEPARTMENT
- The Department of Legal Metrology is responsible for the enforcement of the laws of Weights and Measures. These laws are :
- Legal Metrology Act, 2009.
- Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011.
- Andhra Pradesh Legal Metrology (Enforcement) Rules, 2011.
- At the outset the functional indicators of the Department may be summarized into two parts Viz.,
- Registering of cases.
Before we move forward it is necessary to have a clear cut idea about these two Functional indicators.
Verification in relation to any Weight or Measure is a statutory requirement. It is the process of comparing, checking, testing or adjusting any weight or measure with a view to ensure that such weight or measure conforms to the Standards prescribed. This is done with the help of the working standards maintained in the laboratory of Inspectors Office. Every weight or measure used in any transaction is verified and stamped only when it complies with the requirement of specifications, limits of error prescribed. This is done at regular intervals of one year / two years in lieu of which the user of any weight or measure shall have to pay the verification fee prescribed in the rules.
No weight or measure can be used in any transaction unless it has been verified or re-verified in accordance with the rules. Any failure on this count constitutes an offence which is punishable as per law.
Inspection is the primary functional indicator of the department to ensure that the weight or measure used in any transaction is :
A standard one
Duly verified and stamped at regular intervals of time.
Not used to deliver less quantity or receive in excess quantity.
PACKAGE COMMODITY RULES
In addition to the enforcement of the laws of Weights and Measures as stated above, the Department also enforces the laws of commodities in the packaged form. The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011 envisage certain statutory bindings on the manufacturers of Packaged Commodities. Every package must bear thereon the declaration as to :
- Name & Address of manufacturer.
- Identity of the commodity.
- Net quantity in terms of standard weight & measures or number.
- Month and year of packing.
- Retail sale price.
- Size of the commodity regarding dimensions.
- Information related to Consumer Care Cell etc.
- No commodity in the packaged form shall be sold at a price exceeding the Maximum Retail Price declared thereon.